[CT Birds] Stratford Point Peregrines & shorebirds

twan leenders tleenders at ctaudubon.org
Tue Aug 11 15:36:08 EDT 2009

3PM - juvenile Peregrine Falcon, patiently sitting on flagpole while mum or dad is zipping around trying to grab some food. There were about 3,500 shorebirds (mostly semipalmated sandpipers, but also 100+ semipalmated plover, 100+ black-bellied plover, 20+ short-billed dowitcher (including one long-billed dowitcher yesterday - not relocated today), sanderling, ruddy turnstone, dunlin, and possibly more) tucked in below the lighthouse at high tide - quite a few menu items to choose from!  I did not have time to look for the Philadelphia vireo, but the 9 bobolinks Scott reported earlier are clearly present still.

Come see them tomorrow while you help clean up our shoreline and wildlife refuges!

Twan Leenders
Conservation Biologist
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr Street