[CT Birds] hummingbirds

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 14 05:33:54 EDT 2009

Hi James,
Here at our home in Stratford (10 years), we have a hummingbird feeder or two, plus an extensive flower garden to attract hummers and butterflies.  I don't know what it is, but this year we have had almost no hummingbirds.  None visited in the spring.  And only 2 or 3 have made very brief, one-visit stops in the past month or so.  Normally we would have 2-3 visiting daily now.  My wife has plant pots on the deck filled with a variety of salvias and other attractants.  But, we too are still waiting.
Also, I'm out birding sw CT a lot, and I have only seen about 5 hummingbirds afield all year. So, all I can say, is that from our perspective, there are far fewer hummingbirds than normal, at least in this part of the state.
Frank Mantlik