[CT Birds] Hummer update-

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 14 09:32:47 EDT 2009

Here's my theory on this subject... for what it's worth.

Hummingbirds are very territorial by nature.  They will keep a feeder for their own use when they can.  In our area we have hummers but not typically in huge numbers so they can usually do this.  In areas where there are many more hummers like those where you see many feeding from the same feeder, one bird simply can't dominate as there are too many and they just give up..... sort of.  We see this even here at peak time like right now when the dominant bird will chase off a new visitor but while he's doing that, two more sneak in to feed.  It's not unusual to see birds feeding together where they are numerous but even then they still squabble.  Heck, just spend some time at Lighthouse Pt durning the hawk migration and on big hummingbird days they will even sometimes be fighting as they are migrating and there is nothing to defend!!  You would think they would be saving energy for their long flight south but it just seems to be their
 nature.

Jim

The Fat RobinWild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518