[CT Birds] OT: Not a bird but a Box Turtle

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Fri Aug 14 19:07:22 EDT 2009

Luke,

Just an anecdotal response to your question.  The McKinney Refuge in
Stratford once experimented with placing some kind of wire mesh covers, raised a
few inches above the sand and supported by wooden stakes at 4 corners, to
safeguard diamondback terrapin nests. They were kind of like small,  flat
roofs, only about 3 or 4 inches above the nest.  Every one of  those covers
was soon bent back by some kind of predators and the eggs dug out.  I don't
know how the predators realized that there were eggs in the sand under  the
wire mesh covers - but somehow they did seem to realize that.  Maybe  the
scent of human hands left behind on and near the covers made the predators
inquisitive.

  Of course, many of the terrapin nests which are not under  "protective
cover" seem to be dug up also.  I think that the number of  nests which go
undetected by predators must be among a small minority.

.