[CT Birds] Bats in Roxbury and a badminton net for eastern phoebes in Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 16 17:58:43 EDT 2009

I was very happy to see over 5 bats early last night (Saturday, Aug 15) on Painter Ridge Road in Roxbury, CT. I was taking a leisurely drive back to Washington, CT from a restaurant in Woodbury last night. I drove north on Gold Mine Road in Roxbury, crossing Painter Hill Road in Roxbury, and then on to Painter Hill Road (which goes from Roxbury into Washington,CT). Before we got to Davenport Road,  just starting our drive on Painter Hill Road, the sky suddenly was filled with bats. At least 5 bats but more likey more. I had to slow down as the bats were flying about finding food. It was so nice to see a "large" group of bats.

We have had a badminton net up on the edge of a large field on our property here in Washington, CT of late. Not too many games of badminton have been played since we put up the net I must admit but I have noted at least 2 eastern phoebes taking advantage of the net as a hunting perch for their hunt for insects. Have seen a number of eastern phoebes of late here.

David W Babington
Washington, CT