[CT Birds] American redstart on porch of summer cottage, Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 17 15:49:10 EDT 2009

The unexpected is always nice with birds. Just few minutes ago I came back to my summer cottage from the main house here in Washington, CT. As I came up to the small front porch of my summer cottage I noted a bird on the floor of the porch with what appeared to be an insect the bird had just caught. The bird had a bit of color and then spread it's tail. A first year male American redstart. The redstart then took off with it's insect meal. Nice to see a warbler, a bit of a change from all the young chipping sparrows I have seen here of late.

David W Babington
Washington, CT