[CT Birds] (no subject)

Gary Prestash gprestash28 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 18 17:10:03 EDT 2009

Good Morning birders.

In the current YANKEE Magazine for September/October 2009, there is a small article called "Watching the Skies" by Jim Collins, a field reporter for the Maazine. I was the fortunate one to be at the Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch site on the October Tuesday that he showed up to get some background about our great site and hawk watching in general. There is some background information as to Hawk Watching in New England, and to New Haven as well. I guess it is nice to see your name mentioned in a publication. Others mentioned by name include Greg Hanisek, Don Morgan and also Andrew McGee, who drove down from Northampton, MA that day. All in all, it is quite a nice plug for our endeavors.

Bill Banks

Bill - and others reading these postings...

Take another look at that issue of Yankee magazine.  I don't have one in front of me but I have seen that issue and please note the 2 page, full color image of a hawk gliding through the air with nothing but soft, colorful autumn foliage behind him in the background....it may even be the illustration to the article you mentioned, but that 2 page image is by Hamden's own noted bird and wildlife photographer, Jim Zipp, who with his wife Carol, own and operate The Fat Robin store in Hamden, CT.  That image is - or will shortly also be in a National Geographic book on birding.  I know Jim is too modest to send an email about this fabulous image in that issue of Yankee magazine so I am more than happy to do it and report that Jim too is "mentioned"  in that issue - with the photo credit.

Gary Prestash
Hamden, CT
New Haven Camera Club
New Haven Bird Club