[CT Birds] Hurricane Bill

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 19:25:04 EDT 2009

While it is still very unlikely the state of Connecticut will even
experience minor tropical storm conditions from Hurricane Bill, it is
becoming more likely that we will have a bit of surf and a lot of wind a few
hundred miles from us. This means birds. He should come up between the east
coast and Bermuda in a few days, bringing with him some good birds along the
way, or pushing some into Long Island Sound. This path has been projected
before he even became a hurricane, and so far, he's following it very well.

Right now he is a category 2 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of
110MPH. He is projected to be a category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained
winds of 135MPH, lessening as he slides up into our cooler waters. As such a
powerful cyclone he is bound to pull in or knock down some rarities. Try to
keep your Sunday open, as that will be around the time Bill should be
passing by in the Atlantic. It is a situation to watch even if you are not
interested in looking for some rare birds. Let's hope he tosses us a few
goodies as he bothers only the fish.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society