[CT Birds] American Avocet and much more - Milford Point

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:48:25 EDT 2009

 From Scott Kruitbosch w/ Milan Bull, Tina Green, Bill Banks, Frank Gallo,
et. al.:
08/19/09 - Milford, Milford Point, 9AM-12PM -- 1 AMERICAN AVOCET (as found
by Bill Banks), 1 MARBLED GODWIT, 3 WHIMBRELS, 3 GREEN-WINGED TEAL, 12
BLUE-WINGED TEAL, 2 RED KNOTS, 2 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS, 1 LITTLE BLUE
HERON, 1 SORA, 5 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS, 1 BOBOLINK, 13 GLOSSY IBIS, 2
NORTHERN HARRIERS, and much more.
Stratford, Stratford Point, 7:30-8:40AM -- 32+ BOBOLINKS, maybe even 40 or
50.

After several of us looked extensively on both sides of Milford Point, I saw
the bird in the air at about 10:25 from the observation tower. As a sight
reference, it went from approximately the Bridgeport power plant to the
Milford power plant (when looking at the marsh from the tower - it didn't
fly to these areas!). It was scaling down, and while I lost sight of it when
I stupidly took my eyes out of my bins for a second, I am very certain it
landed into the marsh grasses in that far eastern area area beyond the edge
of the visible water. I would have picked it up in the air had it kept
flying. Several observers kept an eye out until I left at noon, and no one
had seen it again.

Considering it was high tide, we're hopeful it is just roosting in the tall
grasses for now. The grasses really do hide everything. As you can see, it
was an incredibly active and fantastic morning there. There were thousands
of peeps on the sand bars early this morning, too. Things really quieted
down around 11:30. Good luck, and thanks Bill!

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society
kbosch at gmail.com