[CT Birds] American Avocet

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:24:37 EDT 2009

8/19/09 Milford/Stratford-viewed from the top of the tower at the Center for Coastal Studies,seen between 7:10-7:45PM

While scoping the marsh and the surrounding areas,Patrick Dugan was able to relocate the Avocet that was seen earlier in the day.The bird was feeding on the Stratford side of the Housatonic River directly behind the #11 Mid-channel Marker with 3 Yellowlegs.Although it was quite a distance away(a testament to the superb skills of Patrick),it was obvious it was the Avocet.It was heading toward the Birdseye boat ramp and disappeared behind the grass when we last saw it.Patrick and I stayed until dark.

I was at the boat ramp at 5:30AM today to try and relocate it so others might see it.I then went over to the tower at Milford Point until I had to leave for work.Even though I did not see it,it may still be around.So be on the lookout!

Tina Green with Patrick Dugan,Jim Dugan,Frank Gallo,Denise Jernigan,& someone from Greenwich

Tina & Peter Green
PH 203 226 9674
FX 203 226 7285
Website: www.renaissancestudios.com