[CT Birds] (no subject)

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 20 15:43:43 EDT 2009

I have not seen the article myself but some of you might be
interested to see another somewhat older image in that issue.  I
believe they used a shot of mine of some familiar hawkwatchers with the
lighthouse behind them.  They included  Ron Bell, Chris Loscalzo, Tom
Mason, Richard English, Damon ??? and Carol Zipp, off the top of my

In the current YANKEE
Magazine for September/October 2009, there is a small article called
"Watching the Skies" by Jim Collins, a field reporter for the Maazine.
I was the fortunate one to be at the Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch
site on the October Tuesday that he showed up to get some background
about our great site and hawk watching in general. There is some
background information as to Hawk Watching in New England, and to New
Haven as well. I guess it is nice to see your name mentioned in a
publication. Others mentioned by name include Greg Hanisek, Don Morgan
and also Andrew McGee, who drove down from Northampton, MA that day.
All in all, it is quite a nice plug for our endeavors.

Bill Banks

Bill - and others reading these postings...

another look at that issue of Yankee magazine.  I don't have one in
front of me but I have seen that issue and please note the 2 page, full
color image of a hawk gliding through the air with nothing but soft,
colorful autumn foliage behind him in the background....it may even be
the illustration to the article you mentioned, but that 2 page image is
by Hamden's own noted bird and wildlife photographer, Jim Zipp, who
with his wife Carol, own and operate The Fat Robin store in Hamden,
CT.  That image is - or will shortly also be in a National Geographic
book on birding.  I know Jim is too modest to send an email about this
fabulous image in that issue of Yankee magazine so I am more than happy
to do it and report that Jim too is "mentioned"  in that issue - with
the photo credit.

Gary Prestash
Hamden, CT

This list is
provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the
discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.