[CT Birds] Avocets

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Aug 20 22:51:11 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

I got a little bored entering data so I decided to see what I can do
with what I have already

I came up with 24 records (incl now) of American Avocets

This is in no way a complete list. It is just what I have at this time

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

1871 Old Lyme
1951  10/27
1966 5/16 Stratford

1970-79 4 records
1980-89 5 records
1990-99 6 records
2000-09 6 records

This means an Avocet should turn up on average every other year

Greenwich 1
Westport 2
Milford/Stratford 6
West Haven 1
Branford 1
Madison 2
Old Lyme 1
Stonington 3

I found an interesting pattern

1970 Aug 24 and Nov 1
1977 Aug 14 and Oct 10
1984 Sep 4 and Oct 6
1996 Aug 13 and Oct 25
2005 Sep 9 to 29 and Oct 3 to 8 (The long time presence is most unusual)

Why would a mid August record be followed by an October record?

Does this mean we will get a second chance in a couple of months?