[CT Birds] Nighthawk diurnal flight

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 21 10:32:13 EDT 2009

It's not that unusual for Nighthawks to be flying at this time of morning on
southbound migration, especially under cloud cover ahead of approaching
storms. A few years ago, OK more than a few, I was staining my house which
was in the middle of the woods and I saw a nighthawk flying over. It dropped
like a stone onto a horizontal branch of an ancient maple tree that was in
yard and instantly looked like a part of the tree. I climbed off the ladder
and put a scope on it and was able to show it to the family when they came
home.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England