[CT Birds] 8/21 - Stratford/Milford; 21 shorb species incl Wilson's 'rope, LB Dow, Stilt Sand, "Western" Willet

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 21:20:52 EDT 2009

Today was one of my best local shorebirding days in some time, if not the
best ever. Birds were everywhere and variety was excellent. All 21 species
were seen in Stratford and Milford. I'll have to check my records, but I'm
assuming this is a new personal high for shorb species in one day in CT (in
just two towns, no less).

As is typical in CT, today's great shorebirding came during
hot/humid/inclement weather. This is a broad generalization, but heat waves
with t'storms generally result in the best shorebirding of the season.
During this weather, shorebird numbers slowly but steadily build up (and are
often augmented by individuals grounded by weather) until a cold front moves
the bulk of them out...and then the birds build up again until the next
front moves through. It's an oversimplification, but this pattern generally
holds true around here.

>From Nick Bonomo:
Stratford, Access Rd pools - WILSON'S PHALAROPE at high tide (molting juv)
Stratford, Stratford Marina - LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (basic adult), STILT
SANDPIPER (molting adult)
Stratford, Wooster Park - SOLITARY SANDPIPER
Stratford, Stratford Pt - 3 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS
Milford, Milford Pt - "WESTERN" WILLET roosting at the end of the nesting
sandspit, 5 WHIMBREL, RED KNOT, 4 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER (Dennis Varza had
more), PECTORAL SANDPIPER
West Haven, Sandy Pt - SORA, WHIMBREL, RED KNOT (flagged/banded adult)

Other notables were a raft of 6 Common Loon at Sandy Pt and juv Harriers at
3 locations.

Later tonight there will be photos of most of the species listed above (incl
the phalarope) on my blog. Also, I hope to post a primer for shorebirding CT
in the coming days.

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT
http://shorebirder.blogspot.com/