[CT Birds] BBC Overnight Pelagic next weekend

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 10:18:11 EDT 2009

This was pulled from Massbird, for anyone interested:

Folks:

Our Brookline Bird Club August 22,23 Pelagic Trip is cancelled because
Hurricane Bill is coming our way.  However, we have rescheduled the trip to
August 29, 30.

There are now a few openings to replace those participants who can not
change their plans.

             Information about the trip below:

BROOKLINE BIRD CLUB EXTREME OVERNIGHT PELAGIC TRIP AUG. 29,30  2009

This is an opportunity which may not be repeated. We have been finding and
photographing exciting birds and mammals out there in the warmer waters off
the continental shelf on several one-day trips. By staying overnight, we
hope to find more.  We will begin birding from Hyannis in the morning,
arrive at the shelf in the early afternoon, stay the night (will the
storm-petrels be attracted to the lights on the boat?), then be able to
spend the morning looking for more birds around the canyons, start home
around noon and be looking for more birds on the way.

Destination: HYDROGRAPHER, VEATCH'S, ATLANTIS CANYONS, MASSACHUSETTS 90
miles southeast of Nantucket, MA.
Departure point: Helen H Dock, 136 Pleasant St., Hyannis, MA Trip
length (approximate): 36 hrs- 5:00AM, Saturday to 6:00PM Sunday.
Trip limited to 50 participants.
Cost: $290.00 for BBC members, $310.00 for non-members.
Trip costs may be adjusted for extra fuel charges.

Comments: Leaders: Rick Heil, Steve Mirick, Jeremiah Trimble and
Marshall Iliff. We have a very enthusiastic and experienced captain &
crew. The Helen H is a chartered, comfortable, fast, 100-foot fishing
boat with a full galley and padded bunks.  The first 38 who register
will have the opportunity to take a bunk.

Expected on the trip: Cory's, Greater, Sooty, Manx, and Audubon's
Shearwaters.  Leach's Storm-Petrel and all three jaegers. Rare birds seen:
Macaronesian Shearwater (2007); White-faced Storm-Petrel (2006);
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel (2004, 2008); both skuas (2004); Bridled Tern
(2006 & 2007, 2008.  Anything is possible. We have never been out overnight.
Marine mammals & fishes: Fin, Humpback, Minke, Long-finned Pilot,
Beaked and Sperm Whales. Grampus, Saddle-back, and Bottlenose Dolphins.
Basking, Blue, Mako, and Hammerhead Sharks. Tuna. Loggerhead Turtle.

Contact the trip organizer:
Ida Giriunas Massachusetts,
Cell: 781-929-8772;
email:ida8 AT verizon.net;