[CT Birds] Nighthawk invasion...

Brian Hiller mudbat13 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 22 21:17:13 EDT 2009

This evening at 7:15 or so I estimate I saw one group of nighthawks of 100+ individuals hawking insects over Silver Lane in Manchester (where it goes over I-384.)  I only noticed them because the phone and power lines over the road were full of starlings and other small birds that were also obviously hawking insects overhead.  We then drove down 384 about a mile and found a second group of nighthawks of approximately 60-70 individuals.

We then took Route 6 home toward Willimantic and I counted 13 more nighthawks in three different small groups between Bolton and Columbia.  As we exited Route 6 and turned onto High Street in Willimantic I noticed 3 more nighthawks circling the northern edge of Eastern Conn State Univ campus so we pulled in the main driveway and counted 86 additional nighthawks as they passed overhead moving from the southeast toward the northwest.  While it's entirely possible there were some recounts, there didn't seem to be any circling pattern to the movements just a straight SE to NW.

All up this is pushing 250-300 nighthawks, like nothing I have ever seen for this species.  I don't know if anyone else has seen movement of nighthawks recently but they were sure on the move tonight.

Brian Hiller

Willimantic, CT