[CT Birds] Swallows

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 22 22:40:51 EDT 2009

While attending the Navy Band Northeast concert tonight in Preston with
family and friends we were treated to a flock of at least 10,000 swallows
(probably well more than that actually) going to roost in the adjacent
cornfield. The swirling mass very much was reminiscent of a tornado with the
tip of the funnel snaking around the field. I suppose cornfields must
visually seem a good approximation of a marsh to swallows and hence be
attractive as roost sites. The spectacle was impressive enough for the band
to be distracted during their performance.

>From David Provencher and Mary Gardner:

08/22/09 - Preston, Preston Veterans Memorial School - A conservative
estimate of 10,000 swallows going to roost in the adjacent cornfield.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England