[CT Birds] More Nighthawks

DEIRDRE MURTHA sdmurtha at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 23 21:59:48 EDT 2009

Just to add to the Nighthawk observations-- my son and I observed large numbers of Nighthawks over our yard in Norwalk Sunday evening at around 7 pm, just before a stormfront. No accurate count but I'd say it was close to a hundred, most quite high but several low enough to make out the white wing patches with the naked eye.We had just returned from a wet camping trip in Torrington and we had seen large numbers of them up there also, usually right before a storm, once at about 3 pm (I think that was Friday).My records going back a few years have nighthawks appearing over our yard around this time every year, but tonight was the largest number yet.
Sean Murtha, Norwalk