[CT Birds] Tranced Heron

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Tue Aug 25 20:11:16 EDT 2009

HI Folks

I was down at Ash Creek Bridgeport to check out the reported Golden
Plovers (not seen) and had a strange sight. I saw this Yellow-crowned
Night-Heron standing in a side channel with its wings distended. The
disposition  of the wings reminded me of a dead duck being held up by
the neck and the wings dangling. I thought the bird was dead and
being held up by a wire it got tangled in. Another YCNH was a couple
of feet away and paid it no attention. Then all of a sudden, the bird
pulled it wings up and shook its head and stood there like normal! I
guess the bird either dozed off or was in a trance! Go figure.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield