[CT Birds] scarlet tanager with a twist

martin swanhall mswanhall at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 26 11:48:11 EDT 2009

While out doing yard work, a very red bird flew by me.  AT first, I thought CArdinal but then I saw black wings and tail.  Ran into house, got binocs, found it again - it is red with black wings and tail - making me think scarlet tanager - however - Sibley says gray bill and I saw a yellowish bill.  The bird was definitely molting since the red breast feathers were not too red as those on head/back.

Can I assume bird is molting into its non-breeding plumage which, again according to Sibley, has more of a lighter bill than a gray one?

Marty from Woodbury