[CT Birds] Nighthawk migration

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 16:24:43 EDT 2009

We've had a steadily increasing stream of Common Nighthawks in the greater Storrs area since at least the Aug18. Last night I had 32 over the Mt. Hope River all flying south - but I had 5 flying north at 9am 2 days ago.  I most often see them concentrated in river valleys or over water (but not always). Presumably their insect prey is more concentrated over waterways. The Natchaug, Mt. Hope, and Fenton rivers converge in Mansfield Hollow SP then the Willimantic River joins them in Willimantic and the Shetucket River begins. Brian Hiller reported a large number (80 or so?) in Willimantic a few days back too. I'm not sure where the hotspots are in western CT but I'd be looking close to the major waterways.

 Steve Morytko
288 Varga Rd.
Ashford, CT 06278 USA
smorytko at yahoo.com