[CT Birds] Raptors vs crows in Windham Thursday AM...

Brian Hiller mudbat13 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:14:32 EDT 2009

I was out and about early, for me anyway, and came across two instances of raptors hassling crows.  In Chaplin a Juvie Cooper's hawk repeatedly attacked an American Crow during a 5 minute stretch before finally noticing me and flying off into the forest.  About an hour later in the parking lot of Wal-Mart a Merlin kept trying to knock what appeared to be young Fish Crows out of a tree.  The merlin kept circling above then diving down through the branches at the crows.  After a five minute break it resumed diving on them.  This continued for about 20 minutes before the Merlin tired of the fruitless effort and flew off to the north.

While probably not all that unusual, it was interesting to it happen twice in the same morning with different species of both raptors and crows.

Brian Hiller