[CT Birds] Probable Western Tanager

VITALI PETER E vitali_peter_e at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 29 10:18:10 EDT 2009

Location:

Hamden, Ct
Backyard feeder
Sterling Place

I am not positive that it is a Western Tanager but this is the closest to what I saw for a few brief second on a feeder in my backyard that I could find in Sibley"s Guide to Birds.

At first I thought it was a goldfinch because the body was so yellow and there were goldfinches at the feeder.

Then it dawn on me that this bird had a red-orange head so it could not be a gold finch.

It was the size of some house sparrows which were on another feeder.

I though it was a aberrant gold finch because it had black wings with a white bar through it with the bright yellow body.

when I went to get my camera I made some noise and all the birds flew away.  It has not returned.

I just wanted to let birders in the Hamden Laural View Country Club area to be on the lookout for it.