[CT Birds] Back from AZ

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Aug 30 19:02:28 EDT 2009

I returned from a 10 day trip to southeastern  Arizona with a big bag of
new birds, 136 species and 77 new life birds for  me.  I am grateful to many
members of this list for giving me information  on places to go.  Needless to
say, with only 8 days "on the ground"  I  had to miss more places than I
could see, and I never  got east of Sierra  Vista, a great little town in the
midst of the southeastern mountains.   Someday I would love to go back to
explore the southern AZ - New Mexico border  area.  I went on 2 bird walks,
one with Sheri Williamson, who wrote the  Peterson "Guide to Hummingbirds",
and I also went out one day with a local bird  guide.  All three outings were
more than worthwhile, getting me to habitat  I could not otherwise have
accessed and helping greatly with some IDs that I  would not have been able to
make myself.  I missed the mega-rarities that  have been in the area recently
(I think Dana Campbell must have spooked them),  but saw some great birds,
possibly the best being the Elegant Trogons of Garden  Canyon.  Miller
Canyon and the Beatty BnB there was probably the highlight,  with 12 hummer
species in an hour or so, as well as 7 warblers (5 lifers) and  several other
birds.
I'll  put together a bird list and a picture album when I  can sort through
everything, but I am including a link below to an album of pics  of a hawk,
which I suspect is an immature Swainsons (of which there were many in  the
area), but I have not been able to match it to the pictures I have seen so
far.  As usual, the quality is bad, but I'm hopeful someone may know this
bird well enough to give me a better ID.

Don Morgan
Coventry
Coventry