[CT Birds] Sherwood Island sightings

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 31 13:53:28 EDT 2009

8/31-Westport,SISP

 The last two weeks at Sherwood have been fairly quiet,but,things changed today.I walked to the west side over by the Mill Pond platform to check on the Osprey and found myself surrounded by fever pitch activity that I've not seen since early spring with birds at eye level as well as in the treetops.Our two "young pals" in the pines made an appearance and it's nice to know they are thriving.Here are today highlights:

2 BALD EAGLE(1 imm.,1 adult-with the adult being chased by an Osprey),COOPER'S HAWK,WARBLING VIREO,AMERICAN REDSTART,BLACK & WHITE WARBLER,YELLOW WARBLER,COMMON YELLOWTHROAT,BROWN THRASHER,BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER,OSPREY,CHIMNEY SWIFT,CAROLINA WREN,FLYCATCHER(Empidonax spc.),BELTED KINGFISHER,DOWNY WOODPECKER,RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS,GREATER YELLOWLEGS,GREAT EGRET,SNOWY EGRET,GREAT BLUE HERON

Also,FYI,they have cleared the path on the right hand side as you walk down to the Mill Pond and we now have easy access to this area where Yellow-breasted Chat and Woodcock have been seen.Good birding to all!

Tina Green

Westport