[CT Birds] Extralimital - Swallow-tailed Kite

Phil Asprelli aspr82 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 31 17:26:00 EDT 2009

8/30  From Phil Asprelli w/ Charley West and Kurt Muenz:
Wallkill River NWR, Sussex County, NJ.
Dagmar Dale Nature Trail, North Loop.
Swallow-tailed Kite first spotted by Kurt at a distance of 400 yds perched on a snag high in a tree.
We moved closer to about 100 yds for better looks.  We watched the Kite for about an hour at which time we left to bird another area.
We returned in the early afternoon to see the Kite soaring on thermals and catching dragonflys and other insects. All the while putting on quite an aerial display for the 12 birders present.  According to Ken Witkowski, who works at the refuge and first discovered it last Wednesday, it's daily routine is to perch in the morning and soar on thermals and feed in the afternoon.  The Kite looks to be a young adult.