[CT Birds] NHBC First Wednesday Walk Reminder 9/2

Kris Johnson krisjohnson99 at snet.net
Tue Sep 1 08:45:00 EDT 2009

Hi All.  Tomorrow is the first NHBC First Wednesday Walk at Sandy Point, West Haven at 8:00 am.  Hope to see you there.

     Wednesday September 2, 2009
      Time:   8:00 am -11:00 ish
      Location:   Meet in the parking lot opposite the Captain’s Galley Restaurant on Beach St
      Notes:   We’ll look for shorebirds and terns at this great local birding spot. Black Skimmers, Roseate Terns, and a variety of shorebirds, including Golden Plover, are possible. Meet in the parking lot opposite the Captain’s Galley Restaurant on Beach St. Gina Nichol and Steve Bird will lead. Wear footwear that you won’t mind getting wet—we might have to wade in shallow water.
      Contacts—Kris Johnson: 203.288.3087, krisjohnson99 at snet.net or Tina Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com

       DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
      From the East: Take I-95 South to exit 44. Turn slight right onto Kimberly Avenue. At second light, take a left onto First Avenue. First Avenue becomes Beach Street. Sandy Point will be on your left.
      From the West: Take I-95 North to exit 44. Take the West Haven Ramp. Turn left onto Kimberly Avenue. At second light, take a left onto First Avenue. First Avenue becomes Beach Street. Sandy Point will be on your left.

      PARKING
      There is a parking lot for Sandy Point Sanctuary across from the Captain's Galley Restaurant.  We will meet and begin the walk from that parking lot. However, the town of West Haven sometimes charges a fee to park in that lot.  If you want to avoid the parking fee, you can park along the surrounding streets (but not on Beach Street).

      This web site gives additional information about Sandy Point -- http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/site.asp?siteid=383