[CT Birds] Housatonic River

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Sep 3 15:40:24 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

I covered the area from Short Beach in Stratford to Milford Pt.
Nothing particularly new just some numbers. You can tell when things
are dull when the local birders go to Rocky Hill Meadows for shorebirds.

On Tuesday I was showing some people the shore from Barn Island to
Hammonasset St. Pk. It was mainly casual birding. The impression was
a lack of birds in general and shorebirds in particular. I only saw 1
Common Tern The whole day.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

3 September
Stratford, Short Beach and Milford, Milford Pt. 10:30

Mute Swan	14
Long-tailed Duck	1
Double-crested Cormorant	121
Great Egret	4
Snowy Egret	12
Black-crowned Night-Heron	1
Black-bellied Plover	83
Semipalmated Plover	35
American Oystercatcher	8
Whimbrel	4
Marbled Godwit	1
Willet	1
Ruddy Turnstone	3
Red Knot	1
Sanderling	230
Semipalmated Sandpiper	250
Least Sandpiper	52
Laughing Gull	17 ad 3 im
Ring-billed Gull	147 ad 2 im
Herring Gull	55 ad 12 im
Great Black-backed Gull	22 ad

Stratford, Access Rd. Pond and Stratford Marina
American Black Duck	-	4
Mallard	-	33
Great Blue Heron		-	1
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron	-	10
Greater Yellowlegs	-	69
Lesser Yellowlegs	7	10
Semipalmated Sandpiper	2	7
Least Sandpiper	4	2
Stilt Sandpiper	1	-
Short-billed Dowitcher	1	10
Long-billed Dowitcher	-	1

At Mondo Ponds in Miflord there were only 11 Greater Yellowlegs