[CT Birds] Report NHBC First Wednesday Walk 9/2

Kris Johnson krisjohnson99 at snet.net
Thu Sep 3 15:40:29 EDT 2009

We had a nice walk at Sandy Point yesterday, good weather, 28 participants and great leadership under Gina Nichol, Sunrise Birding and Steve Bird, Birdseekers, but the fall migrants just weren't there.  We ended up with only 43 species the highlights were: on the willow tree near the power plant 15 egrets and one black-crowned night-heron resting, and a merlin on the path and then in flight, and a kingfisher showing off his hovering skills . Other than that black-bellied plovers in varied plumage dominated the scene.  By 9:30 we decided to go over to Lighthouse Point and try the wood trails there.  19 members of the group went over, checked in at the hawk watch (also slow) and birded the field and woods.  Many Ruby-throated hummingbirds buzzed by and the woods turned up several flycatchers (yellow-bellied?) and a few warblers, black-and-white and American Redstart, but most birds were just the regulars, so we added only 17 additional species making a total of 60 for the morning.
    The next NHBC First Wednesday walk will be held on October 7th at Hammonasset State Park, hope to see you there.
Kris Johnson (krisjohnson99 at snet.net)  and Tina Green (tina at renaissancestudios.com), co-coordinators