[CT Birds] Northern Wheatear Stratford

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 20:50:43 EDT 2009

 From Scott Kruitbosch:
09/05/09 - Stratford, Sikorsky Airport, 2-5PM -- 1 adult male NORTHERN
WHEATEAR.

The bird was present as of approximately 5PM on a distant marker along the
runway. Several of our frequent-posting friends were still there. I was the
first on the scene after Mona and Paul called it in (thanks again and good
spot Mona!). At that point the Wheatear was on a large sign not too far from
the traditional airport "pulloff" spot. It went from there to the barbed
wire fence which runs along the road in the airport, occasionally hopping
down to catch something.

It continued this behavior for most of the afternoon, once hopping on a pile
of dirt/rubble, and later going onto lights and markers along the runway. Be
aware of the construction occurring at the airport. You'll see large piles
of debris from the terminals that they are ripping down - it's making the
habitat all the more appealing, though. Since you can't drive the normal
loop around to the runway viewing spot, cut through a parking lot and use
the road along the fence. Keep in mind it went nearly to the entrance on the
fence, too. The bird was tolerant to vehicles, but not people walking
around. Let's hope this is all actually relevant and the bird sticks around.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society
kbosch at gmail.com