[CT Birds] Newington Raven & Budgie 9/6

Rob Ballinger robballinger at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 6 15:54:54 EDT 2009

Went to Piper Brook in Newington today to do a little fishing and besides the clouds of goldfinches, kingfisher, great blue heron and 3 double crested cormorants a COMMON RAVEN passed by.  A short time later I was surprised by the familiar chirp of a BUDGERIGAR, a bright lemon yellow one.  Heard the RAVEN croaking from my mother's house a few blocks away a couple of hours later.
On the way home had a GREAT EGRET fly over in the vicinity of Shade Swamp/Pequabuck River in Farmington.

Also in Newington: On Friday night (9/4) I looked up from my lawnmower repairs to see the end of a NIGHTHAWK flock.  I saw about a dozen birds, but I'm sure there were at least a few ahead of them, disappearing behind trees before I started counting.

Rob Ballinger