[CT Birds] Possible Gray Kingbird not relocated

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Mon Sep 7 11:51:29 EDT 2009

After a good 3 hours of searching this morning, we were unable to relocate the
"possible" Gray Kingbird at Greenwich Point.

While there is disagreement regarding the identity of this bird, Cynthia and I
will be submitting written descriptions of our sighting to the Avian Records
Committee.

There were 3 key features that led us to i.d. it as a Gray Kingbird:
there was no white at the tip of the tail,  it was a much lighter gray (almost as
light gray as that of mockingbirds) than any Eastern Kingbird we've seen, and
had a darker, charcoal gray, smudgy mask around the eyes.  I've never seen
an Eastern Kingbird with such features.

Granted, there may be a species similar to Gray Kingbird that we are not
familiar with.  So, if there are possibilities other than Gray or Eastern Kingbirds,
we'd be most interested in knowing.

Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich