[CT Birds] Sikorsky Wheatear

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Sep 8 15:39:20 EDT 2009

The Stratford Northern Wheatear was visible at the airport from  7:45 to
8:45 am this morning.  It consistently returned to its perch on the  barbed
wire on top of the fence, after dropping briefly to the ground to pick up
some morsel.  As you drive into the airport parking area, this is the fence  on
the left hand (north?) side.
Follow the entrance road until you reach the parking  lot  with the
construction equipment and dirt piles.  Continue back through the  lot and take the
roadway which goes through the middle of the dirt piles to a  stop sign.
Turn left on the one-way road and watch the top of the fence  which is now on
your right.  The bird was consistently perched on the fence  about even
with the west end of the dirt pile on the left.  When I got  there I had no
real idea where to go, but by sheer luck ended up in the right  place and
spotted the bird almost immediately.  I think it was the ONLY  bird I saw the
whole time I was there.  I found that the bird would allow  me to approach on
foot to within about 15 feet, but I could position my car on  the grass
fringe so my window was only about 8 or 10 feet from him.  I was  able to get
some decent pictures, but the light was terrible at the time I was  there.

Don Morgan
Coventry