[CT Birds] Mississppi Kite, Simsbury

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Wed Sep 9 14:30:26 EDT 2009

9/9/09  Great Pond, Simsbury, 8:30 AM
1 adult MISSISSIPPI KITE was hunting over the Pond when I arrived.  Gave
great scope views as it soared for 15 minutes and finally caught a frog and
disappeared over the trees in the direction of the nest.  The books say this
kite grabs insects and cicadas, etc our of the air but I saw it plunge down
to the water surface and come away with what looked like a frog.
Later, I went over to the nest site and found the juvenile sitting for great
scope views in the top of a dead tree, calling frequently.

Other sitings at the Pond, included the still large number of Green Herons,
Green-winged teal, lots of Wood Duck, Black Duck, Canada Geese,  Killdeer,
3-4 Least Sandpipers, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 DC
Cormorant, 1 Coopers Hawk harrassing a Kingfisher, and 1 Turkey Vulture.

Also sat for a time on the new bench honoring long time HAS member,  Len

Great morning!
Jan in Somers