[CT Birds] lots of cones

Kevin Burgio kevinburgio at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 10 19:30:49 EDT 2009

Paul and Greg,

White pines have a peak cone production every 3-5 years in order to prevent from over-predation from squirrels.  From what I understand, the current theory is that the trees produce so many cones in these peak years, that the squirrels cannot possible eat all of the seeds, so the trees are able to reproduce adequately.

-Kevin