[CT Birds] Chestnut Hill (Litchfield) Hawk Watch, 10 September, Thursday

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 11 08:57:02 EDT 2009

Yesterday was the "official" start of the Chestnut Hill (Litchfield) Hawk Watch. While not too many hawks came through, there were hawks in all time periods of our time at Chestnut Hill (8:30 AM, EST  till 3 PM, EST). Strong winds from the east with heavy cloud cover in the AM, clearing up a bit in the early afternoon but with heavy cloud cover later in the afternoon. Not one monarch butterfly was seen. I have heard that monarchs had a very rough summer so we may not be seeing too many monarchs this year. The hawks at Chestnut Hill for 10 September, Thursday:
Osprey - 1
Sharp-shinned hawks - 12
Cooper's hawk - 1
Broad-winged hawks - 7