[CT Birds] Pine cones

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 12:23:17 EDT 2009

I have been observing all summer that the white pines in the  state are
loaded with cones this year .   They  were weighted  down even with the small
green cones.  I have been in just about every part  of the state at some time
this season and have seen the same thing  everywhere.  I suspect that this
is a response, at least in part, to the  fact that there were virtually NO
cones on the white pines in most all areas  last year.  Quite likely these
circumstances are related to normal cycles,  and quite possibly, to the
weather in the last 5 years or  so.
The last time I was at Hammonasset I also noted that the small  pines that
the Crossbills prefer had a heavy crop of green cones.  If there  are any
shortages up north this certainly bodes well for irruptions this  winter.

Don Morgan
Coventry