[CT Birds] Pine cones

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri Sep 11 13:32:23 EDT 2009

If the plentiful crop of cones were formed this year they might not be ready for the birds this winter.  I have not been able to find a lot of details, but the Wikipedia item on Conifer Cone says, in part "Maturation takes 6-8 months from pollination in most Pinaceae genera, but 12 months in cedars and 18-24 months (rarely more) in most pines."  The article on Pine says "The female cones take 1.5-3 years (depending on species) to mature after pollination, with actual fertilization delayed one year."  Another reference said that pine cones usually mature in the second year.

I wonder if Sibley's new book on trees goes into this in any detail.  If anyone would think of trees in terms of birds it aught to be him, don't you think?   8-)

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT