[CT Birds] 9/11 Shoveler, Pectoral

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 12 05:51:48 EDT 2009

I was out working in the wind/rain storm on 9/11, hoping to find an unusual bird.  No luck.  Compo Beach had only the usual loafing gulls and 1 Killdeer, with nothing at all offshore.
Afterwork, I did the Stratford loop for an hour (5:50-6:50).  Being hopeful (wind and rain had intensified), I found little of note (100's of usual gulls at Short Beach, and dramatic waves/surf), except:
9/11 Stratford, Access Rd. pool (opposite R.E. Michel), 6pm - 1 female NORTHERN SHOVELER, 1 PECTORAL SANDPIPER.
Frank MantlikStratford