[CT Birds] Parasitic Jaeger - Ender's Island

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 12 12:22:04 EDT 2009

from Phil Rusch & Glenn Williams
9/12 - Mystic, Ender's Island -- PARASITIC JAEGER, 2 FORSTER'S TERNS

After checking Eastern Point and Groton Long Point beaches, we seawatched for four hours this morning at Ender's.  Luckily, Phil got on the jaeger early as it was flying west towards us, so we got long a long look as it continued past us and eventually out of sight west towards Groton Long Point (09:40hrs).  It was an intermediate morph, probably second summer, and on the larger side, but not a Pomarine.

We also had a Merlin, American Oystercatcher, 200-300 Common Terns (all heading east), and several hundred Tree Swallows with a handful of Barn Swallows and two Purple Martins.

Glenn Williams
Mystic