[CT Birds] Stratford Marina (Yoga Herons)

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Sep 13 18:57:27 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

I was at Stratford Marina this morning and had more "Yoga Herons"

There were 23 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons in the trees, and 4 of the
birds were standing there with their wings drooping, both adults and
immatures (none of the egrets did so).

One person suggested exposing bare areas cooling of the birds. Both
time it was morning and the birds were facing the sun. Could they be
warming themselves? Could they be using the sun to affect parasites?
Could they be really relaxed?

This time I have photos. I have no way of posting them so I will send
them to anyone interested.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

Greater Yellowlegs	76