[CT Birds] Bluff Point morning flight 9/14/09

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Sep 14 14:28:41 EDT 2009

Bluff Point had a decent movement this morning if a little slower than I expected (My gut feeling is if the front had produced cooler night time air we would have had more birds move.) Approximately 600+ Warblers, Vireos, Tanagers, etc. were noted with many passing too high or at too fast a density to be identified. The morning flight occurred from approximately 0630 to 0815 and a number of small foraging flocks remaining in the northwest corner afterwards.  John Philip and I birded the morning flight (as well as others who will hopefully add anything I don't include here), and John Philip and Mary Gardner went back and walked the area at lunch time. Here is a rough breakdown of what I know was seen but there were other birders there who undoubtedly picked up species John and I missed in the morning and John and Mary missed at lunch time. The mix seemed to be representative for the date with a rather good showing for Parulas. Morning flight weather was clear and calm to barely detectable northwest wind with 0630 temp around 60 degrees give or take. Mosquitoes were light and two-legged uniformed pests were happily not in evidence.

From Dave Provencher, John Philip, Mary Gardner among others:
9/14/09 Groton, Bluff Point Coastal Reserve - Approximately 600+ warblers with 14 species id'd and a number of other song bird migrants. Notables included;

Least Flycatcher (1)
Un id'd Empids (2)
Eastern Phoebe (2)
Eastern Wood-Pewee (5)
Red-eyed Vireo (10+)
Philadelphia Vireo (1 possibly 2)
Blue-winged Warbler (1)
Nashville Warbler (2)
Northern Parula (30+)
Yellow Warbler (4, including one adult male)
Magnolia Warbler (2)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (10+)
Black-throated Green Warbler (15+)
Blackburnian Warbler (1)
Palm Warbler (2)
Blackpoll Warbler (10+)
Black-and-White Warbler (5)
American Redstart (40+)
Common Yellowthroat (1)
Wilson's Warbler (1)
UnID'd warblers being the balance of the 600+
Bobolinks (At least 10 heard passing overhead)
Baltimore Oriole (5)
Scarlet Tanager (15+)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (10)
Purple Finch (1)