[CT Birds] Bluff Point

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 14 19:39:38 EDT 2009

Dave has provided a good summary of the morning at Bluff Point today.  Steve Morytko and I were also among the crowd and had many of the same birds.  We counted at the hot corner for a bit longer than Dave, and walked the woods a little after he did.  I managed to leave my note book in Steve's car so don't have the full count, but will put all our numbers into eBird within a day or two (I can send them to anyone who is interested).

Many of the birds we had in the wood were the same as those reported by Dave (with remarkably similar counts in some cases), including 1 Wilson's warbler, 4 yellow warblers (including 1 male - exactly what Dave reported!), 1 Philadelphia vireo (different to one that Dave had at the hot corner during the flight).

In addition to the birds reported previously, we had 1 Tennessee and an infuriating 1-second Oropornis-glipse that was very probably a Connecticut, bringing the warbler count to 16 species.

During the last phases of the morning flight there was also a bump in the numbers of red-eyed vireos, eastern wood-peewees and Baltimore orioles, increasing counts for these species quite a bit.  We also a single "Traill's" flycatcher.

Chris

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net