[CT Birds] Milford Point Plus

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Sep 14 19:59:48 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

I spent the last two day at Milford Pt. Yesterday I was too late for
high tide so got poor counts and went back today
The major difference was that I had 3 Whimbrel yesterday but gone
today. Another difference was the large number of gulls. The storms
of the weekend brought lots of detritus on the beach and attracted
the gulls

This morning I was impressed by the large number of Snowy Egrets on
the bars, and a large flock of Cormorants feeding off the bars and
around the base of the breakwater. Most of the Sanderling were
roosting out on the breakwater.

Canada Goose	15
Mute Swan	6
Double-crested Cormorant	134
Great Egret	2
Snowy Egret	30
Black-crowned Night-Heron	1
Black-bellied Plover	57
Semipalmated Plover	9
American Oystercatcher	4
Greater Yellowlegs	1
Red Knot	3
Sanderling	212
Semipalmated Sandpiper	21
Lest Sandpiper	8
Laughing Gull	3
Ring-billed Gull	19
Herring Gull	167 ad and 13 im.
Great Black-backed Gull	9

I then moved onto Sandy Pt.  The shorebirds were as poor as ever. the
highlights include the number of Laughing Gulls and the arrival of
the Horned Larks.

Mallard	9
Canada Goose	4
Mute Swan	60