[CT Birds] Bluff Point 9/15/09 Oranged-crowned Warbler

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Sep 15 11:58:11 EDT 2009

Glenn Williams, John Philip, and I birded Bluff Point this morning. Though we expected the the morning flight would be light, we were surprised at how light it actually was to be. With very few birds coming out at the Hot Corner we decided to bird the loop trail at the NW corner of the reserve. The three of us birded from 06:30 to 08:00 when John had to leave and Glenn and I birded another couple of hours. It took a lot of patient searching and watching but we managed a productive morning. Wind was calm to very slight NW breeze with 06:30 temp being in the mid to upper 60s. Interestingly there were no adult male Redstarts or any Yellow-rumps either yesterday or today which actually suggests the migration may be slightly behind schedule. Here are the migrants;

From Glenn Williams, John Philip, and Dave Provencher:
9/15/09 - Groton, Bluff Point - roughly 200 migrants including 16 species of warbler. The highlights;

Blue-headed Vireo (1)
Red-eyed Vireo (10+)
Blue-winged Warbler (1)
Orange-crowned Warbler (1)
Nashville Warbler (2)
Northern Parula (25+)
Yellow Warbler (2 including 1 adult male)
Magnolia Warbler (3 probably more)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (4)
Black-throated Green Warbler (2)
Blackburnian Warbler (1)