[CT Birds] Hawk ID Challenged

Douglas McMane dmcmane at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 15 12:01:21 EDT 2009

Hello Al,
    I see posts identifying hawks you have seen.  I sit on my porch here in
northeast CT, decent eyes, great binos, hawks overhead even close to my view
entirely a greyish-brown midtone (not dark or light, midtone) over-all.  Any
gradation to white, red, more brown etc. very subtle if at all.  To my eye
then no significant field marks at all except a lack of significant marking.
All the hawks I see overhead appear this way to me.  Is there a common hawk
that shows like this or more experience on the subtlety needed?  Guidance
appreciated.  Thanks.
Doug