[CT Birds] Hawk ID Challenged

Paula J Verderame dmrlizdbear at juno.com
Tue Sep 15 14:38:47 EDT 2009

 Hi Doug,

I think it can be tough sometimes to identify hawks only by field mark
patterns. I've found that it helps to narrow things down by using flight
patterns and silhouettes. A book I found helpful is "Hawks in Flight" by
Pete Dunne, David Sibley and Clay Sutton. The other big help is to hang
out at one of the hawk watches if you get a chance. There are some
terrific birders out there and I've learned so much from them. Also, you
get to observe a variety of birds in the field and compare them. Good
luck, and enjoy yourself!

Paula Verderame
Milford, CT

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:01:21 -0400 Douglas McMane <dmcmane at earthlink.net>