[CT Birds] Broad-wing potential this weekend

Benjamin Van Doren nimajneb3 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 19:05:56 EDT 2009

Hi all,
As I am typing this, a cold front is passing us from the north, bringing
much cooler air (high ~60 F tomorrow) into the area, and along with it we
will get lots of clouds and some rain. While winds should maintain a
northerly (more specifically, NE) vector, these clouds and rain could slow
or even shut down Broad-winged Hawk migration over eastern New England for
the next three days. It is supposed to clear Friday afternoon as winds shift
to the N/NNW, and should stay sunny for both Saturday and Sunday. While it's
still early in the week and the forecast could change, there is potential
for a very large movement of Broad-winged Hawks this weekend since the
clouds and rain may prevent them from flying during their peak migration
time in the northeast (mid-September). At Quaker Ridge in Greenwich, the
biggest days (over 30000!) have come after days of blocking weather, and
while that is probably an overly optimistic prediction for this weekend,
there will definitely be large numbers (very good chance for counts in the
several thousands if the forecast sticks). If you can, I'd get out to a hawk
watch this weekend. It's quite an amazing event to witness!

Good birding,

Benjamin Van Doren
White Plains, NY
warblings.wordpress.com