[CT Birds] Birding Classes at CT Audubon's Coastal Center At Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 17:04:32 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

Here's the new list of birding programs at the CT Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point. We'd love to have you join us. Please call 203-878-7440 to register.  If you have questions, my extension is 501.  Please register early. I look for forward to seeing you.  Frank Gallo

Beginning Birding
Wednesdays, Sept. 30 & Oct. 7,
7-9 p.m. (classroom);
Sat., Oct. 3, 9 a.m.-noon (field trip).

Discover bird watching with Connecticut Audubon’s Frank Gallo, a naturalist who leads bird tours worldwide, is a member of Connecticut’s Avian Rare Records Committee and past president of the New Haven Bird Club. His enthusiastic, hands-on style quickly teaches you the basics of identifying birds using field guides and observational skills. The course culminates in a field trip to find birds at a local hot spot. Bring the “Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds.” (Field guides are also for sale in class.) Pre-registration is required. Fee: $85 CAS Members, $115 Non-members

Sorting Out Bird Songs
Tues., Oct. 6, 7-9 p.m.

Birdsong can be an incredible aid to finding and identifying birds. Instructor Frank Gallo will introduce the basics of birding by ear, using sound resources, as well as the tips, tricks and even pitfalls to indentifying birds by sound. Is that an oriole or a tanager singing? Could that be a Hermit Thrush calling, or a Catbird? Come find out as we delve into the basics of birding by ear. Fee: $30 CAS Members, $50 Non-members.=C

The Big Sit! Fund Raiser

Sun., Oct. 11, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.

The Big Sit! is a 24-hour international bird-finding event with more than 40 states and countries competing. The idea is to find as many bird species as possible from within a 17-foot circle. Our Milford Point team holds the CT record with 101 species! We’re inviting CT birders to support our conservation and education efforts by making a pledge per-species-seen by our team, or by making a lump sum donation. Your contributions directly benefit programs and services at the Coastal Center. We also invite you to join us at Milford Point any time from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call Frank Gallo at 203-878-7440 for details, or check our webpage for the form.