[CT Birds] Stratford Hawk Watch 9/16

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:24:54 EDT 2009

A fast start at Boothe Park went downhill as the day went on. This start
included a flyover by approximately 24 Bobolinks. Around 1 the already weak
winds died off and the cloud deck dropped, and by 2 the rain moved in. I had
about 4 hours of observations before shutting down for the day. I was the
only observer.

Today's warbler in the rose garden (our count site) was...a Palm. It was a
western Palm, but that's a subspecies we see plenty of. I guess I can't find
a biggie every day, and there was no sign of the ridgwayi Nashville or
yesterday's Cape May. The latter was the dullest warbler I have ever seen -
quite an irony for such an exciting find.

Raptor migrants:
15 Osprey
2 Northern Harrier
89 Sharp-shinned Hawk
4 Cooper's Hawk
15 Broad-winged Hawk
1 Red-tailed Hawk
3 American Kestrel
1 Merlin
1 Peregrine Falcon
TOTAL - 131

Other migrants:
1 Killdeer
17 Chimney Swift
2 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
15 Tree Swallow
1 Barn Swallow
13 Cedar Waxwing
24 Bobolink

 From Scott Kruitbosch:
09/16/09 - Stratford, Boothe Park -- 24 BOBOLINK, 1 PEREGRINE FALCON.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society
kbosch at gmail.com